Muscle strain is a very common problem; it can happen to anyone anytime. Muscle strain happens when you overwork your muscles. Vigorous exercise without proper stretching can also be the cause of pulled muscles. Muscle strains or pulled muscles are not restricted to a specific area, they can occur on any muscular part of your body.
Muscle strains are rarely serious; they can be treated in the comfort of your own home. A doctor should be consulted if the pain stays for a longer period of time.
15. Clove Oil
Clove oil works to reduce the inflammation and swelling, it also helps to numb the area of the muscle strain to provide relief from the pain.
Clove oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce redness and swelling. The use of clove oil daily for a few days can help treat your muscle strain. It also increases the flow of blood in the area of the muscle strain, this effectively soothes the strained muscle.
- Take out a small amount of clove oil and heat it.
- The amount of oil you use depends upon the area where you need to apply it.
- Apply the warm oil over the affected area.
- Massage using gentle hand motions.
- Do not use rough and fast motions; this can make the inflammation even worse.
- Leave the oil on the skin.
- Repeat this process twice daily until changes are seen.
Ice can help remove swelling and inflammation – which are two common features of a sprained muscle. Ice has proven to be effective for immediate relief. Frozen vegetables that come in small packs can also be applied over the surface of the skin for pain relief. Do not use ice directly on the skin, inflammation can make your skin sensitive and it may not tolerate the ice being applied directly. Ice also helps numb the skin and muscle, providing a temporary relief from the pain. You can also use it for back muscles pain.
- Use a lot of small ice cubes.
- Wrap the ice cubes in a piece of cloth.
- Apply the cloth wrapped in ice over the skin.
- Keep repeating this process every 20 minutes.
- Your swelling should be reduced in no time at all.
13. Elevate the Strained Muscle
Muscle strain means two things – muscle fatigue and swelling. These two factors can easily be treated using only one method.
When you elevate your strained muscles two things happen simultaneously, your muscle is provided with lots of rest and the swelling shows a marked decrease. These two things work together to help treat your sprained muscle.
This method might be a problem for areas that cannot be elevated such as the neck or the abdomen without lying down. Other areas such as the legs and arms can be elevated easily. It is really effective in relieving strained calf muscle.
- Place a chair or ottoman right in front of your sofa or sitting area, if you have a muscle strain in your leg.
- Elevate your leg by placing it on the chair or ottoman.
- Make sure that your leg is at a higher level.
- Use a sling to elevate your arm, if that is the area where you are experiencing muscle strain.
- Use this method until the inflammation is markedly reduced.
12. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is a miracle ingredient when it comes to muscle strain treatments. It works fast and effectively to heal pulled muscle. You only need to use this method three times a week to notice a huge difference.
Magnesium works to naturally relax the muscles, and it is a component of Epsom salt. Epsom salt helps reduce swelling and inflammation by eliminating the excess fluid from the tissues.
- Dissolve 1 or 2 cups of Epsom salt in your bath tub filled with warm water.
- The water should be warm, not hot. Hot water dries out the skin.
- Soak your body in this bath for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Dry your body completely when you are done with your bath.
- Repeat this process three times a week for good results.
11. Warm Bath
There are very few things that can’t be treated with a warm bath, a warm bath can help elevate your mood and relieve the pain in your muscles.
A warm bath to soothe muscles has been in practice for the longest time. A good long soak in the bath can help remove your muscle cramp effectively. To make the bath even more relaxing you can use shower gels, bath bombs or bubble baths that have a soothing smell.
If you have a sprained muscle, you should have a good long soak in a relaxing warm bath just before bed time. Massage your muscles using gentle hand motions and wake up refreshed in the morning. Follow these steps for a quick relief from stained muscle.
- Fill in the bath tub with warm water.
- Adjust the temperature of the water.
- The water should not be burning hot or ice cold.
- Do not subject your body to cold temperature right after a warm bath.
- Dry your body completely.
- Wear loose clothing.
- Sleep and rest early.
Oil can help soothe muscles and relieve stress. You can use any oil for this treatment, essential oils also work well. Coconut oil and sesame seed oil are two good options for oil treatment to relieve muscle stress. It is also really effective for back muscles.
This treatment has been in use for a long time and many people swear by it.
- Heat a small amount of oil in the microwave.
- The oil should be warm and not hot.
- Place a few drops of oil in the middle of your palm and rub your hands together.
- Next, rub your hands gently on your muscle.
- Massage using circular motions.
- Wrap the area in a piece of cloth, do not wrap too tightly.
“Are your muscles causing you a lot of pain because you overworked them? Have no fear! This small problem can easily be solved using home remedies.”
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is used in numerous home remedies, there are very few things that apple cider vinegar cannot do. There are many ways that you can use apple cider vinegar for sore muscles; a few of these methods include the intake of apple cider vinegar dissolved into a quarter cup of warm water or applying it directly over the skin. It really works great for relieving strained calf muscle or leg muscles.
The intake of apple cider vinegar directly is not recommended, it should always be diluted with a small amount of water. Apple cider vinegar does not taste that great but it works wonders for the skin, hair and health.
- Fill a glass or cup with cold water.
- Mix in 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Add 1 teaspoon on honey and fresh mint.
- Mix all these ingredients well.
- Drink this concoction daily to see results.
8. Garlic Oil
Garlic oil can be used to successfully treat muscle strains. You can easily find garlic oils available in the market or you can make your own oil at home. The oil is easy to make and requires very little time and effort. Garlic has analgesic properties, it helps numb the pain and lessen the inflammation. It also increases blood circulation when massaged onto the skin. For a quick relief to your pulled muscle, follow these steps:
- Use 10 cloves of garlic and brown them in either coconut oil or sesame seed oil.
- When you feel that garlic cloves have browned perfectly, strain them.
- Massage the filtered oil over the affected area.
- Use gentle hand motions, as this will increase blood circulation.
- Leave the oil on the skin for a few hours.
- Wash off the oil using lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process daily.
7. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper helps reduce inflammation and provides some relief from the pain. Capsaicin is the component of cayenne pepper responsible for these anti-inflammatory benefits.
The increased intake of cayenne pepper in the diet can help increase its effects.
- Slightly warm a small amount of olive oil.
- Add in half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Mix these two ingredients together until they are well incorporated.
- Apply this oil paste over sore muscles.
- Leave it on the skin for 30 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
- Repeat once daily for healing your strained muscle.
“Here are a few home remedies that you can use to effectively treat your strained muscle. They not only help treat your pulled muscles but also help prevent them.”
6. Heating Pad
Heating pad has been in use for a long time, its primary function is to help relieve pain. Do not use this method if there is inflammation and swelling around the muscle, a cold treatment works best under such circumstances. It is especially effective in relieving pain of your back muscles.
Follow the instructions of the heating pad and place it on your muscle for a good amount of time. There is no reason to worry if you do not have a heating pad at home; you can easily make your own. You only require two basic things: a piece of cloth and an iron.
- You can use any square piece of cloth; a small dry towel can also be used.
- Keep folding the piece of cloth until it is of the required size.
- Place the cloth on an iron stand and iron it on medium setting.
- Do not burn the cloth.
- Remove the cloth from the iron stand when it is sufficiently hot.
- Place the warm cloth over the area of your strained muscle.
- Leave the cloth over the skin until it lowers down in temperature.
- Repeat this process twice daily.
Exercise is an amazing thing, it can cause muscle strains and also help in relieving them. Regular exercise is the key to a happy, healthy and physically fit life. Muscle strains will be a rare occurrence in your life if you start taking out some time daily for exercise.
Exercise helps maintain body weight, prevents various diseases and improves blood circulation – the benefits are endless.
The first few days of exercise can be painful, because your body may not be used to so much movement. The pain starts to lessen as time progresses and soon you start feeling fit and healthy.
5 to 10 minutes of stretches are very important before and after exercise. You can pull muscles if you start exercising without proper stretching. Stretching is also very effective in healing your pulled muscle.
There is a very thin line between working your muscles and overworking them, make sure that you do not end up on the wrong side.
4. Massage Your Muscles
A good massage can do wonders for your body and a bad massage can result in lots of pain. Make sure that you use gentle and soft hands. If you are getting your massage done by a professional, you should inform him or her of the areas that are causing you pain. Massage is effective in all muscle strain problems especially in strained calf muscle and back muscles.
A good massage can often go wrong if the pressure is applied at the wrong points. A massage can help increase the blood circulation; and this causes an increase in the delivery of oxygen to the muscle which results in the reduction of pain.
- Rub lotion or oil in your palms.
- Use gentle hands to massage the skin and muscles.
- Apply pressure only on the pressure points.
- Massage daily for at least 5 minutes.
Relaxation is not only for the body but also for the mind. A lot of the times our pain is psychological. We feel that it’s a lot more that it really is. You should relax both your body and mind.
Yoga is a great alternative if you do not like high impact exercises. Yoga helps release the tension from the mind and muscles. A regular practice of yoga can effectively decrease the frequency of muscle strains and cramps. Try this simple remedy for an effective treatment for strained muscle.
- Place a soft piece of rug in the middle of the room.
- Use the internet to find out yoga exercises that better suit your body.
- Do not be hard or rough on your body.
- Practice yoga daily in the morning.
Our muscles require rest from time to time. Prolonged exercise or use of muscles can lead to serious muscle strains. Therefore, only allow your body to do the work that it can handle, do not keep burdening it with more and more work. If you’re suffering from strained calf muscle problem or any other leg muscle, resting will give you immediate relief.
Muscles provide the body with movement, but they need a break as well. Rest allows muscles to gather up their strength for the next work. It provides them with a small reprieve, which they use for recharging purposes.
‘Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise’ – is a very true statement. Increase your hours of rest depending upon your age. Too much rest can also be harmful for the body. Maintain balance in all things.
What we eat and put inside our body, has a very huge impact on our health. Therefore, one should take good care of their diet. There are a lot of healthy fruits and vegetables available in the market. Restaurants have also started to include healthy options in their menus. Now you do not have a reason to eat junk food all day anymore.
Increase the intake of fruits and vegetables in the diet, along with food that is rich in vitamins and minerals. Make your meals using ingredients that have a high quantity of nutrients. Potassium and calcium rich foods should also be included in the diet to increase the healing process of your pulled muscle.
Salads are also another healthy option. A change in diet can help improve your daily performance as an individual. Your energy levels will also be increased; you will be able to see a huge difference in your body after some time.
- Improve your diet.
- Eat healthy food instead of junk food.
- Increase the intake of food rich in nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
- Exercise daily.
- Provide your body with rest.
- Give your muscles time to relax.
- Use warm compress and heating pads.
- Take warm baths to help soothe your muscles.
- Use Epsom salt in your bath.
- Massage your muscles using garlic oil, coconut oil or sesame seed oil.
- Use ice packs.
- Elevate your strained muscle.
- Don’t overwork your muscles.
- Don’t exercise a sprained or pulled muscle.
- Avoid the intake of junk food.
- Avoid sleeping late.
- Stop smoking and avoid alcohol.
- Don’t massage using rough hand motions.
- Don’t apply ice or heat directly over the skin.
- Don’t use hot water in your bath.
- Don’t forget to stretch before and after each exercise.
- Consult a doctor if your muscle strain starts to get worse.
- Do not use these methods if you are allergic or suffer from diseases.